Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Not a Fun Race Report

So Sunday was my 1st triathlon of the season. And it was not the way that I wanted the season to start. I should have thought something was not right when the day before everyone that I talked to seemed to think I was tired or sick. Mentally, I was ready and excited to race. The tri started out with a 500 meter pool swim. Normally, I go out really hard and die because you have been sitting around waiting for 1 hour to swim. I was smarter this year and went out easy and ended up winning the swim. Although it was fun to finish first, my time was 3 seconds slower than last year. Not a big deal but I could begin to feel that something was off. The bike course did not get any better. I tried to spin as much as I could but I could not go anywhere. I could not get my body to push itself. The run: ahhhhhh.......i do not know where to begin, I have never felt so bad off the bike. My chest felt like it was compressed, I had to keep popping my ears, and I walked so much. It was kind of scary having that feeling of not being able to breathe. Very weird and also very embarrassing considering the race was only 3.1 miles. I am not sure what was wrong with me race day. I have been having allergies and a sore throat all week but I am not sure if that could have produced such an awful race. I do not get too upset over bad races and am feeling very confidant in my training. The bummer is that this is the only tri that I am doing before my 1/2.
Monday was much better with a long 70-mile bike ride. I have to get my long ride in on Monday because of the race this weekend. My breathing was better because I was working at such a low intensity and it did take a good 50-miles for the legs to warm up. I guess I will just have to try to push my brick workouts a little harder to see if that will better prepare me.

No comments: