Friday, March 12, 2010

The Vegan Athlete


Oh no! Here it comes....another one of my brilliant ideas! I am going vegan!!!! This is not the first time that I have attempted or thought about going vegan. I had a stint in college which ended after indulging in steak fajitas but I have always resorted to beans, veggies and rice as a staple meal when I was single and living alone. I am a stir-fry junkie. Once I met Luke and moved in with him the meat eating really got hard core! I came to the point where every meal was centered around the meat dish. I was still eating a lot of veggies and grains but I feel that there was something missing or maybe something that didn't belong.....meat! I was inspired again to go vegan or at least vegetarian after reading "The Kind Diet" by Alicia Silverstone (yes, the Clueless girl, what a great movie). It is so interesting to learn just how much meat and dairy affect the digestive system and your metabolism. I am sure that there has to be a benefit to athletes and meat and dairy consumption is decreased.

So on that note yesterday was my 1st day of living vegan. It went really well considering we had no groceries in the house after just returning from Florida but I was able to stop and pick up some food before work. I posted a picture of my yummy Black Bean Mushroom Burrito. It also contained green peppers and asparagus. Totally yummy and nothing out of the ordinary. The challenge is going to be shopping for two and hearing other people constantly say "why", "that's not healthy" or "it's too hard". I am just going to take it day by day with my main focus on trying to completely eliminate red meat and dairy the first month. If you have any interest in this topic check out http://www.thekindlife.com/. It has great info and resources. I am sure this is going to be a big topic for my upcoming posts so I will try to post as many resources as I can.

Happy Training!

1 comment:

Will Cooper said...

that is a big commitment. good luck on "going vegan". I know scott jurek makes it work and he won western states 6 times.